Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Marriage Silence

Today, I did something highly unusual, even for me. I went to lunch by myself. No friends, roommate or book. Just myself and whatever I was thinking about. I looked around at the people, some dressed in what seems to be their Sunday best, doing my best talent: observing.

It was just then that a woman walked in followed by what I can guess was her husband. He was carrying her purse. They took the table in front of me, his back to me. He placed the purse on the chair next to him, like it was a lunch guest instead of an inanimate object.

They didn't talk, only glanced at the menu and gave each other a few occasional looks. They ordered, him a hamburger and her a salad. They handed the menus back over and sat in silence.

By now I had looked way afraid she would see me. I asked myself a question, Is this what marriage is like? Is marriage another word for silence?

I thought back to my own sisters wedding. She talked to her husband every waking second, and when she wasn't talking to him, she was looking at him. They texted every day, morning, noon and night (When he worked late). They did everything together even shopping, the one thing a man can't stand.

I wondered what happened to these two? Have they run out of things to say? Can a couple run out of things to say?

I created a character profile for them. She was sitting on the beach, reading a new mystery novel. She couldn't read because the sun was in her face, so she put the book down. She started at the bright blue water and saw this man- her future husband- coming up the beach, shaking his hair free of water. They looked at each other and knew their futures were sealed.

I know that not every marriage is like this but I still wonder if my marriage will be like this.

If they ever legalize it.


No comments: