Wednesday, March 19, 2014

GayBoys

I did the unthinkable today. I held my overdue library books captive because I just love reading so much! And because I forget when they were actually do. So I drive to school, hoping the library hasn't closed, I ran into another student. Not with my car because it was hard to miss this kid.

I slowed down mesmerized by what he was wearing. Mesmerized because I thought nobody had the balls to dress like this. His clothes shined brighter than a diamond sitting in the sun. He wore skinny jeans, and I still wonder how guys can actually get their legs into a pair, and a tight, white T-shirt. Over his shoulder he wore a backpack with Marilyn's face on it. And his stride was beyond catwalk fabulousness.

I mean it was as if he was a walking billboard that was yelling he was gay. And this got me thinking. Can we tell what a person is by their clothes? Are clothes the new form of personality?

I sat in my car and pondered my question. My view point was the best, right in front of the student lounge. I saw people dressed in skirts, pants and shorts. Some were plain, white and grey. The skirts were all knee length. The shirts were the same. The men wore solid colors or collared shirts. The women wore tank-tops or printed shirts.

But I couldn't get anything about their personality. Until I saw another group, hidden from my viewpoint. They walked up to greet the bright-shining star of a teenage boy.

And they were dressed the same. Bright reds and blues. Their hair dyed in different colors. A cigarette hanging from their lips. This group had something about Marilyn, as she was clipped to backpacks and purses or printed on shirts.

I knew that this was the out-spoken group. The group that is hella fun on the weekends. The group that sticks together even in the hardest of times. A group I would love to be a part of but I looked down at my overdue book.

I owe the library $2.25.







No comments: