Monday, March 17, 2014

A Perfect Being

Its on a rare occasion when I find myself using a public restroom,let alone a school restroom. It just so happened that this morning the pee was almost running down my leg and I just barely made it. After I finished, I went to wash my hands and was confronted by a student who was brushing his hair in slow, tiny strokes. Taking time to catch every last hair through the bristles.

He then stared at himself. And time was flying out the window. I was tempted to push him out of the way and was about to when he asked me a question, "Do I look good?"

I nodded and he left the bathroom,before muttering one last word to himself, "Perfect." The word lingered in my mind as I walked back to the classroom.

Is the idea of perfection just something to keep us going? Are there any perfect beings?

If I learned anything in school its that a perfect character is boring. The audience will loose interest and maybe walk out. Every character is flawed in some way or another. Its what makes them more human-like and real.

I looked to celebrities, the people we look up to, long to become. And yes, they are....perfect. Beautiful. Talented. They have money and nice things. But, like so many of us, aren't quite there....YET.

Is becoming perfect something we should strive for? Why don't we just take a step back, stop looking in the mirror and say to ourselves, "I am perfect."

Because to someone else, you are perfect. Just the way you are.

No comments: