Thursday, April 17, 2014

Side Effect:Gay

The blood drive came through school today and as usual people lined up with the promise of two free movie tickets in their eyes. I was never one for giving blood, fainting at even the smallest drop of it. And I mean, it’s my blood, selfish I know, but what’s mine is mine right?

As I looked on at the hoard of people, someone called my name. First, I didn’t know people even know my name and second I was surprised he even remembered it. The guy calling my name met me at a GSA meeting, which stands for gay-straight alliance, like we’re banding together to start a war or something. I walked over to him, I didn’t have class for another ten minutes and haven’t seen him since the meeting.

I asked him if he donated blood. He shook his head no and said, “They wouldn’t let me because I had sexual contact with another man.” This took me by surprise. I didn’t think they would turn away a person who was willing to donate free blood, gay or not gay. O positive or not O positive.

“Yeah, but you don’t have….” I ventured to ask, even though I had no idea.
“Nope. But I could…I guess. Its whatever, they don’t want this fabulous blood then screw them.”
“But anyone can get aids… Its not just gay men.” I told him. He shrugged his shoulders, striding away from the bus.

As I walked away from the blood bus, I wondered, “Is being gay a curse?” One where we have to hide our true feelings for someone. One where we can’t get married or donate blood. Will we have to wear rainbow colored signs announcing our sexuality? I couldn’t help but wonder, “Are we the knew segregation?”

I know that the blood bus nurses were only trying to be safe. But why not test him anyway? Were they afraid the curse will spread? Or were they trying to stop it? Or were they just doing their jobs? I mean, there was a sign hanging from the door that listed the Do’s and Don’ts of donating.


Be careful everyone, I heard the GAY is going around. Protect yourselves. Your children. We’re taking over.

No comments: