Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Me vs You

I have a new class each month unlike traditional colleges who have the same class for five months. This month we’re learning about scriptwriting format. Only took us five months to get here. I swear if we learn the same fucking material again…

This past week, we had an assignment that was only supposed to be the beginning part of a longer work. No more than ten pages, no less than five. We could write a screenplay, for both movies or TV or a novel. I chose the screenplay because that’s what I’m used to (and because it’s the easiest for me at least)

We all walk into class Tuesday morning and instantly the first thing out of everyone’s mouth, “How long was yours?” or, “I thought mine was pretty good.” And the ever classical, “You wrote about that?!?!?!”

“Mine was eight pages.”
“Mine was ten. I had to stay up most of the night editing.”
“I only had six but I think its pretty good.”

No good morning first? As we walked into the classroom I wondered why that was the first thing we said to each other.

Why are we always in a battle with each other? This battle may leave the school ground and enter the highway where you see every car you’ve ever wanted since childhood. What’s so great about their car that yours doesn’t have? Is it the color? The way it’s made?

“I have heated seats…in the front and back.”
“I have TV sets for the kiddos.”
“I have child protection locks.”

It can leave the highway and enter the supermarket where it gets packed away only to enter the household. I wondered do these things give us the upper hand? If so, why? How? Is it to be a better person?

The same can go for relationships. “How in the hell did you get HIM as your boyfriend?!?!” or “That’s your girlfriend?”

Take me for instance: drives a hand me down of a hand me down. Uses his mom’s cell phone (mainly because she didn’t how to work an Iphone.) Wears the same clothes from Walmart or Old Navy. The same shoes.

Personally, I don’t care about what car im driving, the brand name im wearing or the phone that im using. As long as the car gets me from point A to B, the clothes…. well for clothing my otherwise naked body and the phone for….keeping in touch.