Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Fruple Connection

I’ve been moody lately but not in the normal ways, like today I wanted to read every book that has ever been written. Monday I wanted to break traffic rules, endangering others and myself around me. Yesterday I wanted to be the guidance counselor to a relationship that had literally just ended.

I say literally because the guy called me as he was driving home, crying his eyes out and ready to drive off a bridge. Here’s the story: it was the best fruple god has ever seen in his life. The only fruple I have ever seen in my life (its hard leaving the friend zone but he somehow managed) A “fruple” are friends that turn into a couple. They did everything together, listened to the same music and even drove the same car. I knew that if they broke up, I would never have a chance at a relationship in my life.

“Okay, okay stop crying. I can’t understand you,” I said.
“I have nothing left!”
“Okay maybe you should pullover.” I'm not sure if he did or not, but he soon cleared away his tears and told me the story.

He hasn’t felt a connection to her since they became a fruple. He said, “When we were friends I felt an emotional connection, I mean we told each other everything, but I haven’t felt a physical attraction to her…yet.”

“Okay… and that means…what…exactly?” what I really wanted to tell him was, “Well buddy it’s a little too late for that.”
He went into another explanation and I drifted off after the third word, knowing he would be fine after a day or two.

As we hung up, he reached home safely with a burrito from Taco Bell held under his arm, I wondered about connections. Which is better: a physical or emotional?

Are we physically attracted to someone or are we emotionally attracted to someone? I know the obvious answer is physically attracted, we see the body, hair and the way they hold themselves first. But once we get to know that person and the emotions start coming out, like I did when I was a senior, what happens then?

Can we be attracted to the way a person gets angry? Sad? Happy? Or is it knowing that they always have a shoulder to cry on? Someone to talk to, someone they can confide in?

Knowing both sides of this ex-relationship very well, I couldn’t say who was at fault. He was a pansy ass mama’s boy and she was the ex-cheerleader turned sorority girl.


I feel like lying down on the floor, reading my new library books.

No comments: