Sunday, April 13, 2014

Little Diva and her Parents

With the sun high in the sky and the birds all singing their little songs I thought to myself, why stay inside all day and do absolutely nothing when I can go the pool. I can swim, read and tan. I can look at the men, if there were any. I can steal free food from the clubhouse and not make dinner for myself.

I put on my bathing suit and left the apartment at one sharp. I was sunburned, tired and hungry at two sharp. But, for that little hour I didn’t read. I didn’t tan. And I didn’t go swimming, because every human being who has an apartment at Whisper Lakes was at this pool. Kids were rampant and shouting. Teenage college boys were diving into the pool and the woman never stopped talking.

As I looked around, afraid this will be my life when I have kids (LOL), I focused on one family in particular. A husband, his wife and their two kids, a boy and girl. The girl was older, she didn’t need those stupid flotie things, and the boy was about five. It looked like she was in total control over her whole family. She commanded her father to bring her her water goggles. She demanded that her mother get in the water or she “Won’t go to dinner with you guys.” and she pouted her lips and started stomping her feet. 

Yeah cause that’s scary. But, as I watched the parents run around like chickens without heads, I wondered why are we always willing to do stuff for our kids but not ourselves?

I bet every parent is like that, including my own mother. Whenever she calls the first thing she says, “How are you doing? Do you need anything?” I guess it was worse when I was child, always on her hands and knees, willing to bend over backwards for anything my sister or I needed.

Is it just a simple “You’re my baby and you always will be.” Or is it because they know, that someday, we’ll pay it back?

My mom knows that I will. I just need to get to Hollywood. Sell something other than my body and we’ll be driving down that highway in a convertible with no clue where we’re going.


Love ya, Mom.

No comments: