Monday, April 7, 2014

BBG:The Musical

There is one thing I miss about high school: Theatre. It’s where I met most of my friends, some of my best friends and made some of the greatest memories. It's where some of us fell in love and hate. Where some of us drifted away from each other. Where we learned who our true selfs are. It just so happens that I was missing all my little theatre babies when I got a phone call from the choreographer, a woman so perfect and beautiful I label her as my spirit animal.

She had three tickets saved for me, I had the weekend off and jumped in my car and drove the short three hours home. About halfway there another phone call came in, this time from my BBG.

A BBG is a gay mans dream, his confidant and his rock. She’s the Big Black Girl and she came with me to see the musical.
(I asked her permission to call her that being that she created it back in theatre, I think, junior year?)

I picked her up and after about a minute of screaming and calling each other faggots (I haven’t seen her since Christmas and she hasn't called me that since graduation) we were on our way to the old school. We chatted about small things, what happened to us since Christmas, if anything did happen (with me nothing happened and she wasn’t surprised.)

The musical was called “How to succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” It was one that I have never heard of and was a little timid to sit through the whole thing. Turns out, I was wrong. It was one of the best musicals I’ve seen, one of the funniest as well. The cast, all my little babies, were fantastic. It brought a tear to my eye as I watched them because I remember when they were little itty-bitty freshman.

Then we walked into the dressing room's and found out that they were not the itty-bitty freshman that we remember. I remember telling BBG, "Honey is this what it feels like to get old?" 

The musical ended and the audience stood up, and it made me realize something. Even though we complained about high school, the teachers, the homework or the people, it was still there to make us realize that it was just a part of life.


It may have sucked for some us but we still came away with something. We came away with the person we are today. At least I did. 

No comments: