Sunday, November 30, 2014

Tis the Season

I haven’t been lazy I just decided not to post part two of my date because, due to unforeseen circumstances, he hasn’t answered me back since Sunday. I’m an impatient person, you know, just don’t not answer me back. I hope that makes sense but then again I really could care less.

So, three days ago was Thanksgiving and I ate over at my Grandma’s house. She’s the typical Italian grandmother who cooks for ten when she only invites three people. A fifteen-pound turkey, sweet potato pie, stuffing, cranberry sauce, zucchini bread, cauliflower and homemade apple pie. She was worried that we, my great aunt and I, wouldn’t like the pie so she went out, the morning of, and bought a pumpkin cheesecake.

It was all so delicious. I gained about twenty pounds. I was so upset about leaving for work; all I wanted to do was take my after Thanksgiving nap. My grandma made me a plate to take to work and the plate had just about as much food as my dinner plate had.

Macy’s doors opened at six that night and in my mind I imagined a stampede, a hunger games like start, of people rushing in, grabbing, fighting, basically killing for those “steals”. But it was tame, very tame, almost calm, cool, and collected. People walked in, wished us all a “Happy Thanksgiving” and, for the first time, acted like normal human beings.

Macy’s did have really good sales though and it was then, and only then, that I wished I wasn’t working and that I had a substantial about of money to spend.

Black Friday promised the same great sales and the same people ready to do just about anything to get those bargains. I was doing my stuff in the one section I know nothing about, the little boys/girls clothes, when a customer asked me where to find a shirt for her grandson. I had just put one away so I knew where to find it and led her over to it.

“I’m shocked this place isn’t busy,” she tells me.
“Yeah. Its not too bad,” I say.
“They’re all at Walmart or Best Buy. I just came from there, Best Buy, people in tents with their portable ovens. It’s disgusting. I promised myself I wouldn’t do it this year… but look at me now.”

It was about three hours later that I had to remind myself, “Tis the season. Tis the season. Tis the season,” when a customer from Russia with a thick heavy accent asked, “Where is da books?”
“The what?”
“Da books? Da book section. I can buy book?”
“In Macy’s? We don’t have a book section. We never have.”
“Where I can buy book? For read?”
“There’s Books A Million down the street about three minutes from the mall,” I say.
“I can buy book there?”


I nod and walked away. Tis the season.

No comments: