Monday, November 24, 2014

My First Date: Part Uno

Nellie Forbush once sang a song called “I’m in Love with a Wonderful Guy” and, upon first hearing it, I thought she was just another stupid blonde girl in love. But yesterday changed everything for me.

I woke up early because, first, my mother was in the living room listening to Christmas music and, two, I was meeting a guy named Hayden for our first date. Side note- I listen to music when I write and I’m listening to “Wildest Dreams” by Taylor Swift, which perfectly captures our date.

“What are you doing?”
“Listening to Christmas music. What are you doing?” My Mother asks.
“Not getting enough sleep that’s for one thing.”
“Oh stop. You’re young.”
“You’re young. I have to get ready for my date,” I say, stepping into the shower. Side note- I treated myself to Katy Perry’s Killer Queen perfume box set and it comes with shower gel and, shit, does it smell good. A perfect Christmas gift (cough, cough.)

I was meeting Hayden at his place in Tampa at about one. I left my house at twelve and drove the simple hour to his place, with my heart beating faster and faster with each passing minute. I was so worried I would get lost because I am terrible at directions. I’m a writer not a navigator.

Hayden gave me detailed directions that led me right to his doorstep, right to him waiting outside for me. He was so cute, standing there, making sure I didn’t get lost. He showed me his place and his roommates, which brought back such strong memories of my college apartment and my roommate. Not to mention the way they talk to each other is fabulous and the words, “Fag”, “Bitch”, and “Douche” are said every thirty minutes. I fit right in, almost at home.

Hayden then showed me all the hot spots in Tampa, because I don’t know anything about Tampa except for USF and I stayed there for at least ten minutes. He took me to a used bookstore (the main way to my heart), a yogurt place (the other way to my heart), and the International Mall.

“I wish I could shop at Dillard’s,” I tell him.
“Says the guy who works at Macy’s,” He answers.

He then took me to a place called Oxford Exchange. It was a beautiful building; part bookstore, part restaurant, and part lounge area with no wifi to “enable the flow of conversation.” He bought his tea there, London Fog (AKA Earl Grey Latte, a way to HIS heart) with apple cinnamon syrup that tasted like Fruit Loops. We then decided on dinner and a movie time because he “didn’t want me driving back so late.”


We went to Olive Garden (another way to my heart) where we both ordered Raviolis (the fourth way to my heart) soup (for him), salad (for me) and two glasses of water. I felt like I could really be myself around him, I felt like I could eat the typical fifteen breadsticks that I would’ve normally have eaten even if I wasn’t on a date. As I looked into his green eyes, I wondered when is the right time to tell someone you love them? Because I think I do.

No comments: