Tuesday, June 17, 2014

In the End

The day finally came when I told my friends of my impending plan to move back home. It was yesterday when we were on break from class. We went to our version of the breakfast meeting from SATC, Wendy’s. I told them of the plan, when it was going down and why I wanted to do it. They all said it was a great idea that they wished they could do the same. Then the table got quiet.

“Well, someone break the ice,” I said.
“There was this girl, half-Jamaican, half-Greek that I loved back when I was in high school,” international man of mystery said. “She was crazy, liked to smoke and drink and have sex.”
“Sounds like my type of girl,” Tennessee said. If you couldn’t guess, he was from Tennessee.
“If I could go home I would visit her again. Maybe this time sleep with her.”
“And you didn’t before you left?”
Man of mystery shook his head no. “I was too scared. The last time I saw her I was leaving the next day to come here. We made out and everything but…”
“But it was too late?”
“No her dad in the navy and her mom was a model. They scared me more than the flight coming here,” mystery said, laughing.

As the conversation turned to sleeping with anyone we could get our hands on, I wondered about my time here on campus. In the beginning, I was afraid I wouldn’t make any friends, let alone friends that reminded me of my friends back home. As I looked at them, they were talking about sending the Kardashians over to Iraq for some reason, I knew I didn’t just meet people; I met some of the best people.

In the beginning, be the person no one knows. In the end, be the person everyone knows.

“You have to come visit us, every now and then,” Tennessee said.

“Of course! I’ll come up each month, see everyone, maybe say hi to the teachers. Its not like I’m going to a third world country. I’m only going three hours away,” I told them, as we packed our stuff and walked back to class.

No comments: