Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Cinema Grill and Maleficent

It’s the first of June and that means the bills are due, the apartment gets a firm cleaning and I start a new set of classes. But the thing with my college is, they don’t release that new set of classes until the day of. As I sit here and anxiously await what my class will be, who will be in them and what time I will have to wake up (one of the most important, because I am not about that nine am class lifestyle.)

So, I’m sitting here, refreshing the schedule page over and over again, like I’m picking off flowers to the tune of “he loves me, he loves me not” the roommate walks downstairs. She asked if I want to see Maleficent, and I do because she is my favorite Disney villain EVAR, so I shut my computer off and started to brush my hair.

It was on the third brush through that I started wondering about money. Do I need to see this movie? Do I need to spend the ten dollars it takes now to get in? What if I hate it? I have rent to pay. I need to go shopping. How much more will I hate myself?

“Oh, and bring your ID. They have a student discount where movies are only five dollars.” JACKPOT. BINGO. And the winner is….The Roommate. How could I pass up a new movie for five dollars? Would you pass up a date with Channing Tatum? Exactly.

We went to a theater next to our school, one we both haven’t been to. Its called the Cinema Grill and you guessed it, they served dinner to its guests. Upon arrival, we figured the dinners would be as cheap as the tickets, but were mistaken when handed a double sided, laminated menu.

I wont go into detail but a plate of onion rings cost nine dollars. ONION RINGS PEOPLE. We sat a round table, basically touching the people next to us. We all sat on rolley chairs, basically the pre entertainment for the children in the theater. The movie wouldn’t start for another ten minutes so we spent some time looking through the menu, not long though, afraid that looking even touching will cost us five bucks.

A cup of soda was two dollars, adding a dollar – fifty for EVERY refill. Don’t even get me started on the food. It was when the lights started dimming that we knew we were safe from the servers asking if we wanted anything from the over priced food menu, but not safe from the people.

A man, considerably older, like too old even for a Disney movie, came and sat by the roommate and I. He said he sat in the back but couldn’t see. He also reeked of beer, almost like that was his cologne, after shave and deodorant. He spent about a preview and a half rolling in his chair and making little grunts. I didn’t know whither to watch him or the screen.

He then turned around and asked if he could sit in the middle of the roommate and I. He said that he liked sitting in the middle because he always needed someone around him.The roommate and I looked at each other, reached for our phones and started to text each other when Beer Man coughed and said that he wanted to try sitting in the front. It was like he was afraid that we would start texting behind his back or something. 

It was at the point that we deemed this theater unenjoyable, we loved the discount, hated the rest of the prices and the people. But we loved the movie. It showed us that true love does exist, though not in the form of a handsome prince, but in the form of a horned evil fairy, hell bent on destroying what little she had left. 8 out of 10 on my scale, losing two points cause her damn name is so hard to say. 

No comments: