Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Beauty Test

Sometimes I feel like I‘m the only person in the world who likes to buy cleaning supplies. I like to look at the shape of the bottles they come in, the way they smell (even though some smell like crappppp) and what I can clean with what, mixing chemicals with other chemicals like it’s a job.

That’s where I found myself in the cleaning aisle of Family Dollar picking out which cleaning materials I needed. It was a toss-up, between the three dollar real shit and the one dollar fake shit. I chose the fake shit; I mean I am still on a budget and everything.

In total, I spent seven dollars and forty-eight cents, on paper towels, dishwashing soap and toilet cleaner. On the way home, instead of plugging in my iPod, I listened to the radio, something I never do because of the commercials. There was this lady, I don’t remember her name, but she said there was this new Chinese method test to find out if you are truly beautiful.

This was the test: put your index finger up to you your nose and down to your chin, like you’re telling someone to be quiet. If your lips touch your finger, without pushing or stretching, then you are truly beautiful.

Naturally I did it and found that my lips do touch. But this test got me thinking, why do we need tests to see that we truly are beautiful? Isn’t true beauty on the inside anyway? Beauty differs from each person to person but the question still remains, what is truly beautiful.

A couple of months ago, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show was on and naturally people flocked to social media sites exclaiming they long to be like them. Longed to have long legs, shining blonde hair and perfectly shaped boobs. I wondered why? How do we know what they really are like?

From what I can understand, beauty is your personality. The way you act in uncomfortable situations. How you can have the brightest of smiles even though you’re screaming on the inside.

Beauty was Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly. Not only because they were beautiful but because they stood up to those who wronged them, they made themselves independent.

The world is a beautiful place filled with beautiful creatures, plants and places.

My mom always said, “No one is better than the person you really are.”


Whatever the hell that means.

No comments: