Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Supergay: The Guy behind me in line at Starbucks.

Gabriel Iglesias says there are five levels of fatness: big, healthy, husky, fluffy and dammnnn. I say there are two levels of gayness: gay and supergay. I was standing in line at Starbucks, a disaster on itself, when a woman stepped up behind me. I caught her in the corner of my eye, but something was off.

As I turned around for a better look I noticed that the woman was actually a man. I knew because I saw no boobs or bra and because his shoulders were as wide as mine. I knew this person was transgendered. Or at least in the process of.

As people whispered, walked away and laughed, I couldn’t help but clap inside my own head for his (her) own bravery. But I also wondered, what if he wasn’t transgendered? What if he just liked wearing women’s clothing?

In societies and communities that demand acceptance, why are so we quick to judge each other?

We’ve all met that type of gay, the supergay in other words. The ones who wear high heels, make-up and even, in some cases, hair extensions. The ones that like to do make-up and dress up. The one who only knows three words in their whole vocabulary: YASSSSS, SLAY and LANA DEL REY.

I wondered about the difference between gay and supergay. Is there a checklist? A website? Or is it like a switch, one where you can turn it on and off at the same time. I asked my collection of fags, ex-boyfriend one and two and GBF, wanting to know what they think.

“I would wear make-up. I already wear mascara and a little blush,” ex-boyfriend one said.
“I’m not sure if I would wear make-up. I would wear maybe gloves and hats! Like Audrey,” ex-boyfriend two said and to be completely honest I wasn’t shocked.
“Can supergays wear mink?” GBF said.


Their answers lead me to believe that supergays just like fancy clothing. Very expansive fancy clothing. I couldn’t help but wonder about Ms. J, one of America’s Next Top Model judges. He is supergay, but some of his outfit choices make him super, super gay. And that’s a gay NO ONE wants to see.

No comments: