Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Visual Burn Book

It took two days for me to move my stuff into my apartment. It took two weeks, two roommates and countless sips of Mountain Dew to move my stuff out of the apartment. I’m unsure why it took so long, I mean, I’m leaving everything I brought…here. That includes, a red twelve-dollar couch I bought at goodwill, a TV and its stand, the dining room table and its three folding chairs, a bookcase with a “My student is honored to be part of the honor roll” sticker and a whole dresser that once held my underwear.

Well, what else are you taking with you? That’s a great question, thanks for asking. I have three boxes, stacked with books, a box full of my posters and my DVDs. Oh and my desk.

Well, why did that take you two weeks? I guess you know you’re a writer when you can’t let go of your books. They are, in a way, a part of you. Even if you hated, didn’t finish or even start the book there has to be something you like within the pages the author created. I came here with nine boxes of books and I’m leaving with three, im saying that’s a pretty good turnout.

And because I found my old video camera which I since dubbed The Visual Burn Book. Remember that stage when we all wanted to be the next YouTube, well I guess now it would be the next Vine, star? If you didn’t have one I have one question to ask you, “How?”  I remember when my friends and I would make videos that have no point, or videos of us, singing or dancing? Yeah. It was upon viewing them as an adult that I knew why I “lost” my video camera.

THEY WERE HORRIBLE. I couldn’t help but ask myself, “What the hell were we doing?” Some videos were pretty mean, where we throw the words “fag” and “fat” around like they were bees. But all the videos were funny, almost SNL ready.

I had to call the only person who would appreciate them as much as I did.
“You’ll never freaking believe what I just freaking found?”
“A boyfriend?” my best friend asked.
“Ha, really funny. No, my old video camera!”
“Please tell me the videos from the camping trip are there?”

The videos from the camping trip were, indeed, on there.  The videos, all short, were of the best friend and I, pretending to be lost in the woods. The funny thing was, in the background, you could see GBF. And newly single. And ex-boyfriend number two. All before we become friends. All before we started dating each other.  


I wondered about camping trips and how it would be if we went on one today? I wondered if people even still go on camping trips. I wondered...

No comments: