Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Patron Saint of Sex

Living in a beach town means there is only one thing to do: visit the beach. You can visit the beach with friends or by yourself. Me, being the type of person that hates going to places by himself, called every single person in my contact list. Well, the ones that still liked me or considered me as a friend.

As I waited at the beach, for someone, anyone, to text me back, I looked at my surroundings. Which wasn’t much, except for twelve-year-old girls wearing bikinis, looking better than the older girls wearing bikinis. You know the world has changed when younger kids look better than college sophomores or adults.

Finally, my saving graces came. Three friends from high school, who I haven’t seen since New Years Eve, came and set up their little towels. As they slapped sunscreen on, a lesson I never truly learned, we caught up on everything from college debt to boys to how many sexual partners we’ve had.

“I’ve had seven. Not counting the last one because he couldn’t even get it up.”
I was shocked. Where was the girl from high school? The one who was late to class and cried to the teacher? I since dubbed her the Patron Saint of Dicks.

“I have a problem, its like once I started, I couldn’t stop,” Patron said.
“Yes, but you use protection though? Right?” I asked.
“Of course. I don’t need a kid.”
"Ladies. Get the pill. Or get that stupid T thing that just stays up there for five years." She really wanted me to put that in here. She really is the patron saint of sexual activity. 

As we took a swim, the water a nice, cool blue, I couldn’t get her dramatic change out of my mind. I wondered about change, I wondered if it was college or was it just something that snapped in her mind. Because she wasn’t like this in high school, she was barely allowed to have a boyfriend!

I wondered about the twelve year old girls that look better than us. I thought to my move back home and I asked out loud, “Why is everything changing?”

“Joe? Are you okay?”
“Just tell me why everything’s changing!?!?!?”
“But nothings changing. We’re still the same people. We’re still friends.”

As we hugged goodbye, with promises to meet up again, I couldn’t get that word out of head. I drove home with no music, that’s how much I thought about change. I wondered if change is an inevitable part of life. It comes in all shapes and sizes, colors and shades but the most drastic change, if I could be a little dramatic for two minutes, is the one you have with yourself.


That even if your friendships, relationships, family, classmates or home life changes, you’ll still be the person you were before. But the worst change is the one you have with the one who broke your heart. As you see him, be the him you know, with someone else.

No comments: