Sunday, July 6, 2014

4th of July with SJP

There it was, draped over a beach chair, swaying in the light July breeze. The words and the City caught my attention. The bright pink color led me to believe this was the towel of my dreams. The man who used it to dry his face led me to believe he was the man of my dreams. Except he was married and eighty-years old.

“I couldn’t help but wonder…where did you get that towel?” I asked.
“Oh, this old thing? It was Sarah Jessica’s at first and she left it in the car,” he goes on to tell me.
Hold on. Sarah Jessica? As in Sarah Jessica Parker? As in my hero for the last five months?
“Sarah Jessica Parker?”
He nods. “Yep, I used to drive her to the set. She was always thirty minutes late. She came down the steps, putting on her high heels. She was great, so funny.”

Excuse me as I throw up.

“She used to call me super Dave.”
“Well super Dave, were going to be best friends,” I tell him.

He goes on to tell me stories about “Sarah Jessica” and how she always treated the cast and crew to dinner or shopping sprees. How she thanked him when she won her second Emmy. How she told him to call her Sarah J and it was at this point, the smile on my face hurting my cheeks, that super Dave’s wife came up and shit all over our conversation.

“Honey don’t fill his head with those lies. Everyone in Hollywood, including Miss Parker, is nasty and vicious,” she said and walked away. I looked at her, like how could Miss Parker be nasty after the stories Dave told me?

“Don’t listen to her. She always hated Sarah J. Women,” super Dave told me, rolling his eyes. I loved him. He said his job title was theatrical teamster and I was sure that after driving Miss Parker he was involved with the mafia. But I didn’t dare ask him.

At the end of night, Dave gave me some of the best advice I have ever heard in my life.
“Don’t you ever give up. Don’t ever. You have a passion go after it. This business was tough, and I was only a driver! There are so many jobs, so many freaking jobs. Start at the bottom, like everyone else. Don’t be an asshole.”

“One of these days, someone will be on stage thanking you. And you’ll be on stage thanking them. It’s a whole circle. A tough and scary circle. Hollywood is a great place. You can see thugs, drug addicts and an Oscar winner all on one street corner.”

“If you ever need a driver, you know who to call.”


I can now say that that was one of the best 4th of July’s I have ever had. Minus the food that made me gain at least ten pounds.

No comments: